Okay, it’s that time of year. Time to start tearing your hair out because you have no idea what to get that quiet, introverted, book geek in your life.
Have no fear! We have you covered.
1) You can pick up this writer’s block so that your writer is now always telling the truth about having it. Or, s/he can smack themselves in the head to remind themselves to sit down in the bloody chair and try to get something done today. Besides, it makes an excellent paperweight to keep all of those rejection letters under. Well, for those three or four places which actually still send paper rejections. Available from Etsy.
2) Every writer needs a quick deploy version of their weapon of choice. So, I present to you, the butterfly-knife pen. S/he can quickly whip out this little beauty when s/he needs to jot down a few notes, or start that brand new story starring you as the main character about to meet his/her true love and tragically not notice until five chapters later. Available from ThinkGeek.
3) Grab your writer this set of punctuation bookends to put his/her published work between and show off proudly on his/her desk. S/he will be pleased that you’ve recognized the grammar geek hiding in his/her heart. And, if s/he’s like many writers, s/he always needs another place to store his/her books because they are attempting to drown your writer in words. Available from B&N.
4) Moleskin notebooks are some of the best on the market. They have many sizes, including the ones which fit perfectly into a purse or a pocket. These will go nicely with the butterfly-knife pen above. Available here.
5) The Hemingwrite is a little more out there. It’s funded on Kickstarter, so that’s a step in the right direction, but there’s never any guarantee that a Kickstarter project will actually occur. Still, a cloud-storage, anti-distraction, portable writing device is a great idea. It won’t be there on Christmas, but you could tape a picture of it inside of a portable typewriter case… or something… On Kickstarter here.